Welcome to my blog - a scrapbook of memories, ideas and inspirations.

Monday, July 12, 2010

One is the loneliest number - the myth dispelled



Two things scare me.
The first is getting hurt.     
But that's not nearly as scary as the second, which is losing. 


--Lance Armstrong 


July issue of Time magazine published a great article that dispels hard set American stereotype that the only children grow up to be spoiled, lonely or as "permanent misfits".  Despite many efforts of researchers to disprove the image on an only child established by Granville Stanley Hall 120 years ago, today's America is having a hard time dealing with the fact that many families are choosing to only have one child.  


People with only one child are sometimes considered being unfit parents, who will harm their child by not providing a proper play mate. Nothing could be further from the truth. 


As an only child myself, I can testify to never feeling lonely, being unable to fit in, or being unable to achieve.   On the contrary, the stakes and expectations were always set higher for me than for my peers with brothers or sisters, and therefore, I had to adapt, be sociable and succeed in every task.  Failure simply was not an option, but I don't regret being an only child for a second.  I got more attention, more emotional support, more love and more compassion than some of my peers, yet I never felt spoiled.


With the economy taking a nose dive, it is not surprising that many families are choosing to stop at having just one child.  And there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.


Here is a photo gallery of famous only children, who turned out just right.  The list includes Lans Armstrong, Franklin Roosevelt, Gary Grant, Frank Sinatra, and many others.  


Time does an excellent job of debunking the only child myths.  To read their article in its entirety, pick up a copy of the Time magazine; the online version does not do it justice, but the article is well written and worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment