Welcome to my blog - a scrapbook of memories, ideas and inspirations.

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Google Voice review


Google Voice is a great free service provided by Google that enables voice transcription of voicemail.

It transcripts incoming voice messages into text messages and also sends an email of same to user's gmail account.

To most busy people on the go, this means that they no longer have to listen to their voice messages and can treat them as text messages and/or email.  They  can also search, sort, save, forward, copy and paste all of their voice messages.

The only issue I've experienced with Google voice-to-text transcription comes from variety of human accents, pronunciation and intonation. Sometimes things get lost in translation, causing me to sratch my head until I look up the phone number of the caller who left the voice mail.

Here is one such example that kept me guessing for a few seconds.

"Hi, jealousies. I guess I just wanted you. If you do not need packing. See if he'll stay off tomorrow thing. So please give me a call. Thank you. Bye bye."

Turns out, a foreigner left this message, trying to reschedule an appointment.

Most of the time, the errors in trascription are funny and not troublesome. Despite a few rough edges, Google Voice is a valuable time saving service. I highly recommend Google Voice to any busy professional who does not have it.

For more information about this service, visit: http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

If you need an invite, email me. I have a few left.

No comments:

Post a Comment